Coronavirus Updates

Coronavirus Updates

Our federal, state, and local public health officials are working to slow the spread of coronavirus. It is important to have official resources to keep our community informed. Below, please find up-to-date information regarding coronavirus from CDC, Wisconsin Department of Health Services, and public health experts. All links below are to official government websites.

The State of Wisconsin is looking for companies, educational facilities and other organizations that may have personal protective equipment (PPE) that could be used in the state’s response to the COVID-19 emergency. You can fill out a donation form HERE:

The state appreciates donations, and is willing to reimburse large quantities of PPE at fair market value. Please fill out the below form if you have the specific items listed below. If you have less than 50 items of any of the below items, please consider donating to local health care organizations.

State of Wisconsin Links

For information on Governor Evers' Safer at Home order, please visit:

For information on Governor Evers' Safer at Home order, specifically the Essential Business Declaration, please visit:

For information on unemployment, please visit:

For information for farmers, restaurants, retailers, and resources for scams, please visit:

For information on veterans benefits, services and resource centers, please visit:

For resources on tax filing, please visit:

For information on child care and child welfare, please visit:

For FAQs on the mass gathering order, child care setting order, and K-12 school closure order, please visit:

FAQs: Economic Impact Payments

Who is eligible for the economic impact payment?

Tax filers with adjusted gross income up to $75,000 for individuals and up to $150,000 for married couples filing joint returns will receive the full payment. For filers with income above those amounts, the payment amount is reduced by $5 for each $100 above the $75,000/$150,000 thresholds. Single filers with income exceeding $99,000 and $198,000 for joint filers with no children are not eligible. Social Security recipients and railroad retirees who are otherwise not required to file a tax return are also eligible and will not be required to file a return.

Eligible taxpayers who filed tax returns for either 2019 or 2018 will automatically receive an economic impact payment of up to $1,200 for individuals or $2,400 for married couples and up to $500 for each qualifying child.

How will the IRS know where to send my payment?

The vast majority of people do not need to take any action. The IRS will calculate and automatically send the economic impact payment to those eligible.

For people who have already filed their 2019 tax returns, the IRS will use this information to calculate the payment amount. For those who have not yet filed their return for 2019, the IRS will use information from their 2018 tax filing to calculate the payment. The economic impact payment will be deposited directly into the same banking account reflected on the return filed.

The IRS does not have my direct deposit information. What can I do?

In the coming weeks, Treasury plans to develop a web-based portal for individuals to provide their banking information to the IRS online, so that individuals can receive payments immediately as opposed to checks in the mail.

I am not typically required to file a tax return. Can I still receive my payment?

Yes. The IRS will use the information on the Form SSA-1099 or Form RRB-1099 to generate Economic Impact Payments to recipients of benefits reflected in the Form SSA-1099 or Form RRB-1099 who are not required to file a tax return and did not file a return for 2018 or 2019. This includes senior citizens, Social Security recipients and railroad retirees who are not otherwise required to file a tax return.

Since the IRS would not have information regarding any dependents for these people, each person would receive $1,200 per person, without the additional amount for any dependents at this time.

I have a tax filing obligation but have not filed my tax return for 2018 or 2019. Can I still receive an economic impact payment?

Yes. The IRS urges anyone with a tax filing obligation who has not yet filed a tax return for 2018 or 2019 to file as soon as they can to receive an economic impact payment. Taxpayers should include direct deposit banking information on the return.

I need to file a tax return. How long are the economic impact payments available?

For those concerned about visiting a tax professional or local community organization in person to get help with a tax return, these economic impact payments will be available throughout the rest of 2020.

Where can I get more information?

The IRS will post all key information on as soon as it becomes available.

The IRS has a reduced staff in many of its offices but remains committed to helping eligible individuals receive their payments expeditiously. Check for updated information on rather than calling IRS assistors who are helping process 2019 returns.

Resources for Small Businesses

Small Business Administration (SBA)

For all coronavirus releated information for small business owners, including information on how to apply for Economic Injury Disaster Loans, please visit:

House Ways and Means Committee: Resources on Legislation Signed into Law and Assistance for Small Businesses

Please contact the Wisconsin Small Business Administration office if you have questions or concerns:

For information on Economic Injury Disaster Loans (EIDL):

To apply for a disaster loan:

More information on Economic Injury Disaster Loans can be found HERE or HERE.

The Small Business Administration (SBA) is holding daily webinars for small business to obtain information regarding Economic Injury Disaster Loans.  They will be held and 10:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m.  The links to register:

10am registration link:

2pm registration link:

The Wisconsin Economic Development Corporation (WEDC) announced that it is creating a program which will be known as Small Business 20/20 (SB20/20).  According to the WEDC, this program will “provide grants of up to $20,000 to targeted businesses with no more than 20 employees to cover rent and to meet payroll expenses, including paid leave (including sick, family and other leave related to COVID-19).”  For more information about SB20/20, you can visit:

The Wisconsin Business Development (WBD) now offers temporary payment deferment options for WBD SBA 504 Borrowers impacted by COVID-19.  For details regarding these deferment options you can visit:

Department of Labor (DOL)

Information for employees: Families First Coronavirus Response Act: Employee Paid Leave Rights

Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA)

Under the White House Coronavirus Task Force’s direction, FEMA, HHS and our federal partners continue to work closely with state, local, tribal and territorial governments in executing a whole-of-government response to fight the COVID-19 pandemic and protect the public. The outpouring of support from the private sector to provide medical supplies and equipment has been tremendous. To help us match the many offers of assistance to the right place, at the right time, and in the right quantity, we ask for your help in ensuring partners know how to connect.   

To sell medical supplies or equipment to the federal government, please submit a price quote under the COVID-19 PPE and Medical Supplies Request for Quotation. Full details can be found in the solicitation (Updated Notice ID 70FA2020R00000011). This solicitation requires registration with the System for Award Management (SAM) in order to be considered for award, pursuant to applicable regulations and guidelines. Registration information can be found at Registration must be “ACTIVE” at the time of award. 

If you have medical supplies or equipment to donate, please provide us details on what you are offering through our online medical supplies and equipment form at

If you are interested in doing business with FEMA and supporting the response to COVID-19 with your company’s non-medical goods and/or services, please submit your inquiry to the Department of Homeland Security’s Procurement Action Innovative Response (PAIR) team at

In addition to these avenues to help, licensed healthcare professionals that want to volunteer can get information on eligibility, view credential levels by clinical competency and register with the Emergency System for Advance Registration of Volunteer Health Professionals in their state. 

If you are a hospital or healthcare provider in need of medical supplies, please contact your state, local, tribal or territory department of public health and/or emergency management agency. Any needs that cannot be met by the state or tribe are then sent to the respective FEMA regional office who are coordinating requirements through the FEMA National Response Coordination Center. FEMA is working with the Department of Health and Human Services and other federal agencies to fulfill requests and ship supplies as quickly as possible. 

Additional ways to help can be found at

Resources for You

Wisconsin Department of Health Services: Outbreaks in Wisconsin

Kenosha County COVID-19 Information Center

Central Racine County Health Department

Rock County Coronavirus Disease 2019

Milwaukee County Health and Human Services

Coronavirus- Waukesha County

Walworth County Health and Human Services

CDC: Situation Summary

CDC: Coronavirus Disease 2019 Information for Travel

CDC: Preventing COVID-19 Spread in Communities

For information from Wisconsin Department of Health Services, please visit their website here.

Avoiding Coronavirus Scams

Here are some tips from the Federal Trade Commission (TTC) to help you keep the scammers at bay:

  • Hang up on robocalls. Don’t press any numbers. Scammers are using illegal robocalls to pitch everything from scam Coronavirus treatments to work-at-home schemes. The recording might say that pressing a number will let you speak to a live operator or remove you from their call list, but it might lead to more robocalls, instead.
  • Ignore online offers for vaccinations and home test kits. Scammers are trying to get you to buy products that aren’t proven to treat or prevent the Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) — online or in stores. At this time, there also are no FDA-authorized home test kits for the Coronavirus. Visit the FDA to learn more.
  • Fact-check information. Scammers, and sometimes well-meaning people, share information that hasn’t been verified. Before you pass on any messages, contact trusted sources. Visit What the U.S. Government is Doing for links to federal, state and local government agencies.
  • Know who you’re buying from. Online sellers may claim to have in-demand products, like cleaning, household, and health and medical supplies when, in fact, they don’t.
  • Don’t respond to texts and emails about checks from the government. The details are still being worked out. Anyone who tells you they can get you the money now is a scammer.
  • Don’t click on links from sources you don’t know. They could download viruses onto your computer or device.
  • Watch for emails claiming to be from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) or experts saying they have information about the virus. For the most up-to-date information about the Coronavirus, visit the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the World Health Organization (WHO).
  • Do your homework when it comes to donations, whether through charities or crowdfunding sites. Don’t let anyone rush you into making a donation. If someone wants donations in cash, by gift card, or by wiring money, don’t do it.

CDC Awards Wisconsin an Additional $10.2 Million to Combat Coronavirus

Read more on CDC's funding to help Wisconsin's prevention, treatment, and response efforts HERE.

Coronavirus Guidelines for America

President Trump and CDC released coronavirus guidelines for America. Social distancing keeps the most vulnerable in our community safe and health. See the graphics below to help make the next 30 days count.

30 days

30 days 2

For general information on coronavirus symptoms, how to stop the spread of germs, and what to do if you are sick, please visit CDC’s website or check out information below.

For the latest international travel health notices, please visit here. According to CDC, travel health notices inform travelers and clinicians about current health issues that impact travelers’ health, like disease outbreaks, special events or gatherings, and natural disasters, in specific international destinations.

Below is a fact sheet from CDC on information you need to know about coronavirus.

If you would like to receive updates on coronavirus and my work in Congress, please sign up for my newsletter here.